“Miracles manifest through people—people like you!”
As inspirational speakers go, Lisa embodies a tragedy to triumph message in a surprisingly joyful way! She has more than 40 years of experience in the healthcare field, and believes whole heartedly in the value of attending to the spiritual needs of both patient and professional.
Lisa is a student of universal shamanism. As an international speaker, author, bereavement facilitator, ballroom dancer and mom, she weaves together insights from ancient wisdom and modern thought to inspire audiences with a powerful head to heart message using storytelling, writing prompts, dance, and humor. Audiences are transformed as they recognize the valuable gems hidden within their life experiences and remember who they truly are.
Lisa’s first-born son, Justin, passed at the age of fifteen in 2000 after a ten-year remission from leukemia. Shockingly, six years later, her youngest son, Jacob, was diagnosed with the same kind of leukemia. He has completed treatments and is now a healthy adult! As one would imagine, these were challenging times much like we are experiencing during the 2020 pandemic. Through decades of her sons’ cancer treatments, Lisa lived the experience of being quarantined, wearing masks, and fearing being infected by others. Her message is filled with first hand insights on how to thrive, even in the midst of crisis and devastating loss.
Her memoir, BLOOD Brothers, is a heart expanding must read especially in times like these (2020)! It is a true ally for anyone experiencing the loss of a loved one. It is required reading for nursing students interested in learning how to improve their connection with patients through understanding the patient experience. Lisa lives a joyful life in Los Angeles with her husband of 37 years. Her two adult daughters, son and their childhood dog, Poochini, live creative lives in Oregon. Her family remains close and surprisingly sane!
Prior to joining the Huron Studer Group Speaker’s Bureau in 2015, Lisa was committed to assisting grieving families in the Los Angeles area, including leading grief groups, grief camps and attending the National Alliance for Grieving Children conference. She hosted Death Café Santa Clarita, an international movement toward normalizing conversations around death, and gave a TEDx talk titled, “Changing the Face of Death” at College of the Canyons TEDx in 2014. Lisa was the Family Outreach Coordinator for a local nonprofit supporting families who have a child with cancer. She volunteered at the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, American Cancer Society, Amgen Tour de California and a host of fundraising events. Her speaking career began when her memoir, BLOOD Brothers, became a popular resource among nurses.
· TEDx presenter at College of the Canyons 2014.
· Presenter Rythmia Life Advancement Center, Costa Rica 2019
· Presenter “CBD, Friend or Foe, what nurses need to know,” New Jersey League of Nurses, Cannabis Nurses Network 2020-2021
· Grant recipient and co-creator of Hospital Care Kits program serving Children’s Hospital Los Angeles.
· Guest host for Doctor Proctor, radio show on KHTS 1220 where listeners take a peak over the shoulder of physicians.
· Trusted advisor and support to bereaved parents, hospice workers and nurses in leadership within the pediatric oncology community.
· Member eight-person Children’s Hospice and Palliative Care Coalition team presenting to law makers in Sacramento.
· Consultant and parent participant for Danya International’s Communication Counts, a tool kit for families experiencing childhood illness.
· Parent panel participant and trained presenter for End of Life Nurse Education Consortium (ELNEC).
EDUCATION AND CERTIFICATIONS
· Diploma from LA County USC Medical Center School of Nursing,
· Bereavement Facilitator Certification from Beyond Loss, Glendale Adventist Medical Center
· Certified Cannabis Nurse
· Certified Transformational Circle Host
· National Alliance for Grieving Children
· End of Life Nurse Education Consortium
· American Nurses Association
· Cannabis Nurses Network
· American Cannabis Nurses Association